Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Wisdom Of The Ancients...Or, At Least, The Much Older Than I



As you are all aware, or soon shall be, I love lists. All lists. Sadly, occasionally, you will have to suffer for my amusement. Oh, well. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.


So, without further ado, a list I compiled of my favorite quotes. Some have explanations. Some don't. Some are pithy. Some are pissy. It's a crap shoot really.

PS For future reference, the handy clown picture will allert you to the fact that a post was done while in the grip of insomnia. These are, generally, the most trivial of the drivel and should be avoided if at all possible.

It is better to have a permanent income than it is to be fascinating. - Oscar Wilde
(NOTE: Oscar had both there for a while. I wonder if this quote was pre-prison or after. It would be interesting to find out. Unfortunately, I'm lazy. I guess we'll never know.)

Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much. - John Wayne
(NOTE: Advice that neither I nor any of my friends will ever follow.)

Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night.- Philip K Dick

Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read. -
Groucho Marx

As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' -- probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on. - Woody Allen

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw. - Havelock Ellis

They can conquer who believe they can. - Virgil

If you want to know what G-d thinks of money just look at the people He gives it to. -
Dorothy Parker
(NOTE: If only G-d could dislike me a billion dollars worth....Is it better to be loved by the Lord or rich? Ask Job.)

They sicken of the calm that know the storm. - Dorothy Parker

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. -
Dorothy Parker
(NOTE:Basically, this is how I feel about anything written by Ayn Rand.)

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,A medley of extemporanea; And love is a thing that can never go wrong; And I am Marie of Romania. - Dorothy Parker

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left. - Oscar Levant

Children are the only form of immortality that we can be sure of. - Peter Ustinov

Curiosity killed the cat but for a while I was a suspect. - Stephen Wright

Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain. - Edward De Bono

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -
Mel Brooks

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh. - W. H. Auden

If you would marry suitably marry your equal. - Ovid

It is a great thing to know your vices. - Cicero
(NOTE: Don't worry. No list of vices to follow...hmmmm...no. No. That's a bad idea. I may be nuts but I'm not stupid.)

No comments: