Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Stardom isn’t a profession; it’s an accident.

Whatever happened to celebrities? Call me old if you will* but when I was a kid I seem to recall that people who were famous were famous for a reason. I mean if you were in a magazine or on TV there had to be a reason (except, obviously, in the event that you were on "The Love Boat". . . they'd take anybody). Either you were someone of note in the literary, political, theatrical or musical arena or you'd killed somebody. These were the options. Well, you could also save a small child from a well but, honestly, how often does a break like that come along?

Who are our celebrities now? No. Seriously. Who the fuck are these people? I don't know. Do you? Could you tell me? I doubt it. Because now we're barraged with the dregs of the Earth a.k.a. the children of famous people. We're deluged with "celebutantes" a.k.a. the rich bitch brigade. To quote Dorothy Parker, as I tend to do, "they make me sick. They make me tired."

Why do I, or anyone for that matter, need to know anything at all about Rod Stewarts kids? I barely care about Rod Stewart. He had, what? Two good songs a million years ago? So, naturally, I must care that his son is BFF's with three other brats of actual celebrities and that the kid spends more on fake spray tan in a week than I, or anybody I know, will make this year. Yeah. Sure I do. In who's world?

Where is the fascination in Paris Hilton? Jesus Herman Christ on a crutch, I can't wait till this broad od's. I mean that. On the day that she's found in an alley (but a very posh upper class alley) with a needle in her arm and an eight ball in her big fuck-off Fendi bag I will dance the dance of sheer joy. . . . With props. I'm not saying I want her to die. I just want her to go away and not come back. In fact it's better if she lives but people are just collectively tired of her bullshit.

How do we all manage to care so much about the privileged, spoiled, slutty, ignoramuses on MTV? I don't know. It baffles me. The only thing I know for sure is that come the revolution there will be no spray tan and Daddy's money won't be able to help you so you'd better learn a trade. Just ask Tori.


*Don't.

1 comment:

BlondeJustice said...

Old, old, old, old old!!