Monday, April 21, 2008

(At Long Last) Erin's Post As Requested

As you could, most likely, tell by the fact that it took me so long to do this post it’s difficult for me to write about my mother. I am very protective of her. Not that I have anything bad to say about her, you understand, but I was raised to believe that what happens in the family stays in the family. We firmly believe in omerta. The rule of silence. If something happens to one of us then it happens to all of us and we’ll take care of it. There isn’t, as far as we can see, any reason to involve outsiders.

So, obviously, to me, saying anything substantive about her seems almost like a betrayal. Even if, as is the case most of the time, it’s good. I have so many great stories and memories of and with my mother. I love her beyond anything. That being said, the woman is a nut.
She is. Don’t doubt this. I can prove it.

Have you met me? Yes? Well, we’re almost exactly alike…alright, fine, she’s taller. I said “almost”, didn’t I? People don’t believe me when I tell them this. I don’t know why. I did not spring, full grown, from the head of Zeus. Somebody made me. Well, a lot of people made me, actually, it takes a village to raise a Dark Fury. But, for the most part, it has always been just me and my mother since the beginning. Since before the beginning.

My parents broke up when my mother was pregnant with me. She was twenty-one and, even if I say it myself, I think she did a great job. Ya’ know, considering what she had to work with. And I think the thing that really amazes me is that my mother thinks I’m brave. She says it all the time. She tells me that I am braver than she is. How so? I have no idea. Well, I do know what she’s talking about, as it happens, but that’s neither here nor there. How can anything I’ve been “brave” about even compare to being a separated twenty-one year old woman with a baby on the way? It can’t. I am not brave. I just suck it up and do what needs doing. I learned that from her. She doesn’t see that. She’s blind as three bats. . . and a nut.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next? Come on, people. Batter up!

5 comments:

girlysmack said...

This was beautiful... I especially love the line "it takes a village to raise a Dark Fury."

Dark Fury said...

Ah, stop. I'll blush! ;)

Anonymous said...

"There isn't any reason to involve outsiders"...you know I did pack your wound after you had surgery. YAY! I am an outsider to the Daly clan :)

~Elisa

Dark Fury said...

A. You volunteered! I was going home but you insisted it was no big deal, little miss blood 'n' guts.

Dark Fury said...

I had a "B." but I forgot what it was.