Thursday, May 22, 2008

If suffering brought wisdom, the dentist’s office would be full of luminous ideas. ~Mason Cooley

Tomorrow I am going to the dentist. I made the appointment at 10:30 this morning. I have not stopped thinking about it. Even when I’m thinking about other things I’m still thinking, in the back of my mind, about the dentist. I am, in case you couldn’t tell, terrified of the dentist. I’m thirty-three years old and I want my mommy to go with me.

This is, of course, a totally irrational fear. My current dentist (we won’t even speak of my first dentist who was a bad man and should rot in hell) and her staff have never been anything but kind to me. They are always very understanding of my phobia. They’re lovely people. I fear them like they were the reincarnation of Mengele.

I’m just going in for an exam tomorrow to see how badly I’ve chipped my tooth. Basically, it’s x-rays. They asked me, smart people, if I needed to be sedated. Yes, I thought, of course! And not that twilight crap either. I want a full on morphine drip with a xanax chaser! But I said that no, I believed I could handle it. Then I laughed in a self deprecating manner.

Humiliation is a great motivator to courage.

No comments: