Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.

OK. Decisions have been made.

I made a list of pros and cons. Pro - I do want to help people. Con - I’m a girl. A short girl. I’m not getting beaten up (or worse) for anybody. Pro - I love to travel. Con - I love my family and friends more and don’t even want to think about what I might miss if I’m living out of a suitcase.
So, basically, the cons were a lot more convincing than the pros. Let’s face facts. If it was working for a local based in Chicago I’d be packing right now. However, it’s the national which, again, means I go wherever and whenever they tell me. It’s Christmas? Your mothers birthday? One of your best friends is getting married? Sorry. Get on the bus! While I still believe in the unions (anybody who crosses the writer’s picket line will get no box office money from me ever again) I don’t think it’s for me. At least not right now.

On the upside! I’m starting my new job tomorrow. I’ll be working for Child Support Services. I’m happy I’ll be helping kids get the money they need. I’m ecstatic that I won’t be selling anything. Never again do I want to hear anybody say “It’s ABC, Adrienne. Always Be Closing!”. How can I take such a statement seriously? It’s not even proper English.

On the downside. It’s only a temporary assignment. So in six months I may be looking for another job. Or they may decide the office can’t live without me. Either way I think I’m good.

No comments: