Tuesday, January 8, 2008

“Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one” Elvis Presley


It’s Elvis Presley’s birthday so, once again, the good folks over at TCM had a mini marathon of his movies. I was at work but I came home in time for “Stay Away Joe.” I couldn’t get past the first fifteen minutes. It was too depressing. Jesus. I’d have put half of Ecuador up my nose too (in liquid form, of course, soaked in to cotton swabs…little Elvis trivia for ya’.) if I was contractually obligated to be in a shite bomb like that. Also while I was getting ready this morning they were playing “Elvis: That’s The Way It Is”* a concert film of him in Vegas. Oy.

I love Elvis, I think everyone who knows me knows this, but come on! Why the later years? Why? Is it the same reason that people voted for the “old” Elvis stamp? Because both these things confuse me.

You want to watch some movies? Great! Here’s your list:

1. Elvis: ‘68 Come Back Special
2. King Creole
3. Jailhouse Rock
4. Follow That Dream

. . . . and I must admit I do actually enjoy “Double Trouble” but I recognize that it’s crap-tastic. Which is part of it’s charm, if you ask me. What? Bad movies can be great. I just object to the ones where he’s miserable, bloated and phoning it in. I’m weird like that.

*1 good point to this flick - Elvis says some girl “could suck the chrome off a Cadillac” and they try to cover it up with really bad dubbing. It makes me laugh. Why cover it? Elvis got laid a lot? The hell you say! I’m shocked!

No comments: