Friday, May 16, 2008

The quality of an individual is reflected in the standards they set for themselves.

Journal Entry - 5/16

Today I went to work. I sat in my office. I listened to a co-worker, who will be married in a matter of days, talk about vows, love and commitment. As my mind wandered I recalled that a friend of mine told me once that all love is conditional. While, at the time, I found that to be a sad and cynical statement (and coming from me that means something) I decided today that this was, in fact, the smartest piece of philosophy I’d ever heard.

I made a list of deal breakers. Even if I loved someone enough to give them two kidneys the following would end that love immediately. Full stop.

1. Needing new kidneys. Honestly! Why were they so careless with the first two? This is why we can’t have nice things.

2. Enjoying the musical stylings of Robert Goulet not for it’s funny kitsch value but as an artist.

3. Encouraging any child of mine to play football. I would never be with a man who Loved (capital “L”) football. Therefore, at some point, they have fooled me into believing that they either hate it or are just fond of it. This is called fraud.

4. Eating and enjoying Miracle Whip.

5. You hate Elvis? You’re dead to me. I can accept this flaw in my friends but in my own home? How dare you, sir?

This list took ten seconds. Bored for the rest of the day. Conclusion? One must have ones standards.

2 comments:

girlysmack said...

I am seriously laughing my ass off over that first one. This is why we can't have nice things? You are so f-ing hilarious. This is why I love you. Erm ... that is ... I mean to say this is why I like you. As a friend.

Dark Fury said...

Um . . .Erin, I like you but I don' *like you* like you....